Probably the most popular addition to the shopping trolley second only to good old spud in the fruit and veg department. Whether it’s the sweet taste, the crunch, the attractive glow or merely the plethora of ways to utilise them it is a firm favourite in every basket. Carrots available at this time of year are still young, tender and sweet. Try to pick firm carrots with no wilting or drying skin. Generally the smaller, the more tender. Carrots will keep for a few days in the fridge but try to keep them in the dark and wrapped so they don’t dry out too much.
- Wash and peel 500g of new season carrots.
- Finely grate the carrot and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Finely chop 1 onion, 2tsp capers, 3 gherkins and add to the bowl.
- Mix well and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add 75ml olive oil, the juice and zest of two lemons, 2 tbsp chopped chervil and 100ml creme fraiche.
- Serve with pan fried Halibut and boiled new potatoes.