Many people ignore what they regard as an ugly vegetable. Under the skin celeriac has a fabulous mild celery flavour, great roasted, mashed with potatoes to serve with game, in gratins and soups. This is a classic recipe, as a starter or to serve with cold meats. Buy a celeriac; use half for this salad and the rest in a hot dish.
Make the dressing before the celeriac has time to discolour. There will always be a fair amount of mud and wastage. Once you’ve topped and tailed it it’s fairly easy to peel the skin.
- Mix together 150g mayonnaise, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tspn of salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Peel ½ kilo of celeriac and grate it coarsely.
- Mix the dressing with the celeriac and add more seasoning, mustard, and lemon juice to taste.
- Options: use a mixture of yogurt and mayonnaise to cut the fat content.
- Add white cabbage, kohlrabi and carrot for a winter coleslaw.
- A handful of walnuts or cobnuts would be nice too…