It’s begining to look a lot like Christmas!
￼With only a few months until Christmas Day, we at flavour are starting to think about our festive food and drink plans. We’ve selected some of our favourite companies in the South West from whom to buy your Christmas dinner ingredients – along with providing you with some festive menus for Christmas party planning.
Dike & Son Superstore and Cafe
Deli and Café, Ring Street,
Stalbridge, Dorset DT10 2NB
A Truly Local Independent Store
If you are passionate about local produce look no further than Dike & Son, a multi award-winning deli and supermarket in North Dorset that ‘welcomes more than 100 local growers, bakers and makers’ on to its shelves.
Family run (by the same family since 1851), the shop in Stalbridge has grown over the years to become the largest independent supermarket in the West Country. It now stocks a vast array of local cheeses, pies, cured meats, chutneys, jams and preserves, biscuits, cakes and chocolates as well as dozens of local ciders, ales and other more unusual tipples.
Great for gifts for foodies (they also do hampers) and all your Christmas food shopping, the store also has a friendly café serving farmhouse breakfasts, home-cooked lunches and Dorset cream teas, so you can make a day of it.
Edington Farm Shop
Westbury Road, Edington,
Wiltshire BA13 4PG
01380 830 940
We have an extensive range of fine locally sourced products including local meat, cheese, bread, chutneys and local crafts, and even our very own ales from our onsite microbrewery, alongside our finest Priory Farm fruit, veg and flowers. We aim to create local convenience at its best alongside something special for the weekend.
Over the festive season we will be creating a Christmas vegetable box containing a seasonal range of our fantastic Priory Farm vegetables, including the Christmas classics: a great grab-and-go for a busy time of year. Beautiful locally grown vegetables will make Christmas dinner that little more special.
Christmas at Reg The Veg
6 Boyces Avenue, Clifton Bristol BS8 4AA
0117 970 6777
Organic potatoes, sprout stalks, leeks, bunched carrots, parsnips and broccoli, delivered fresh from our local farmers, harvested daily and so fresh the early morning dew glistens on our sprout tops.
Madjool dates, fresh figs, satsumas, cranberries and chestnuts for roasting on an open fire. Christmas trees, mistletoe, holly wreaths and decorations for your home. Sage, thyme, rosemary; all the herbs you need for the flavour of Christmas!
Bath BA2 7BL
Langsfords Preserves produce handmade and homemade quality jams and preserves with no artificial additives, made in small batches using traditional methods. Langsfords recipes use locally sourced and seasonal produce where possible, and they offer a range of hampers and gift packs, ideal for Christmas.
The range includes jams, jellies, chutneys, pickles, condiments, vinegars and more. The Jumbleberry Jam has a Taste of the West Gold Award, and the Gooseberry and Star Anise Vinegar has a Silver Award.
Jumbleberry Jam: A jumble of local strawberries, raspberries and blackcurrants mixed together to create a beautifully fruity jam.
Gooseberry and Star Anise Vinegar: Cider vinegar infused with gooseberries and star anise and sweetened to create a lovely salad dressing or to add a splash of flavour to sauces and marinades.
You will find Langsfords at regular farmers’ markets, including:
- Devizes (first Saturday of the month)
- Frome Supermarket (first Sunday of the month)
- Wells (second Wednesday of the month)
- Corsham (third Saturday of the month)
- Bradford on Avon (last Sunday of the month)
- Glastonbury (fourth Saturday of the month)
Other events in 2013 include the Somerset Food & Drink Festival and the Winter Fayre, Mells 24th Nov: see the website or Facebook page for details.
Rich’s Fresh Produce
Locally grown vegetables delivered to your home.
Gerald Rich has been market gardening in Bath for over 40 years, and with the help of his son Luke he now runs a thriving veg box delivery service. As well as homegrown vegetables and salads, they source English fruit when it’s in season. You can pick one of their lovely veg boxes or choose your produce to suit your taste. Free delivery in Bath and Box.
Hung Meat Company
The Well Hung Meat Company deliver all over the UK twice a week, every Thursday and Friday, and already deliver to over 100 Bristol postcodes every week.
This Christmas they are offering a fantastic selection of festive meat for your entertaining and family meals.
They will have organic Pekin duck, rare-breed Heritage turkey and award- winning Emden goose in addition to their multi award-winning beef, lamb, pork and chicken.
If you have not yet tasted their delicious, organic, grass-fed, artisan meat, then here is a great opportunity to give them a try.
They have come up with a ‘Flavour of Well Hung Meat’ box that gives you an example of their different award-winning meats at an affordable price.
For just £25 you can try their Taste of the West Silver Award chicken, Taste of the West Gold Award beef, lamb and pork and compare it to the meat you are already buying.
The box contains one pack of each of the following:
- Three-week, dry aged organic Aberdeen Angus mince 400g
- Three-week, dry aged organic Aberdeen Angus Feather steak 300g
- One-week, dry aged organic Duroc cross pork belly strips 500g
- One-week, dry aged organic Poll Dorset lamb dice 400g
- Two-day, dry aged Devonshire Red chicken thighs 400g
Felant Rosted (Roasted Pheasant)
75-78 St Luke’s Road
Bristol BS3 4RY
0117 933 2892
An alternative Christmas dish from The Star & Dove
1 plump pheasant
50g of melted dripping or lard
- Rub the bird all over with coarse sea salt and leave for 24 hours in a fridge.
- Rinse off the excess salt and soak in several changes of water for 4 to 6 hours. Pat the skin dry and season with coarse salt and pepper,
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/Gas mark
- Take a piece of muslin large enough to cover the bird and soak in melted dripping or lard. Lay over the pheasant and place in a roasting tray upon a trivet of roughly chopped vegetables (in order to keep it slightly elevated) and roast between 35 and 45 minutes depending on size.
- To check the bird, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh; the juices should run clear. Leave to rest somewhere warm for at least 20 minutes and baste several times throughout. Be vigilant as a few minutes too far can transform this beautiful quintessential British bird into the rather dull and pedestrian.
(Taken from the Harleian Manuscript) Lete a ffesaunte blode in the mouthe as a crane, And lete him blede to dethe; pull him dry, kutte awey his hede and the necke by the body, and the legges by the kne, and putte the kneys in at the vente, and roste him.
The Montague Inn
Near Wincanton BA9 8JW
Hidden away amongst the Somerset country lanes is the Montague Inn; a traditional 18th-century local where everyone receives a warm welcome.
The cosy bar guarantees a warm and friendly atmosphere for that quiet chat or the simple enjoyment of the local ales and ciders. The tastefully furnished restaurant leaves you breathless with its space and huge picture windows opening onto the terrace and garden with wide-reaching rural views.
Noted and awarded for local sourcing of food and drink, whether it be a homemade pie or an à la carte dining extravaganza, owners Sean and Suzy O’Callaghan with Head Chef Matt Dean deliver a seasonal menu from the very best of the South West.
Christmas Party Menu
£22.50 per head
- Potted Wild Mushroom Fricassee with a Keen’s Cheddar and Herb Crumb
- Free Range Duck Liver Parfait, Crisp Bread and Spiced Onion Jam
- Home Made Hot and Sour Crab Rolls, Shredded Iceberg Lettuce and Lime Dressing Local Wild Game Terrine, Mulled Pear Chutney and Crusty Bread
- Ballotine of our own Turkeys with a Thyme and Cranberry Stuffing. Served with all the trimmings Individual Lamb and Rosemary Suet Pudding. Sautéed Brussel Sprouts, Potatoes and Chestnuts Salmon, Spinach and Cream Cheese Plait. Creamed Saffron Potatoes and Parsley Sauce
- Local Winter Vegetable Cobbler. Mini Roast Potatoes
- Our Own Christmas Pudding with Brandy Sauce
- Three Tier Chocolate Mousse, Cointreau Sauce and Orange Biscuit Steamed Treacle and Ginger Pudding, Lemon Infused Custard
- Cheese Plate of Local Cheeses
As our dishes are freshly prepared we are able within reason to cater for most food intolerances, however, we cannot guarantee that our food is totally nut free. Please bring any dietary requirements or allergies to the attention of our staff who will be happy to discuss the menu with you. We are not aware that any of our ingredients contain GM foods.
All prices are inclusive of 20% VAT.
The Catherine Wheel, Marshfield
The High Street
Marshfield SN14 8LR
The Catherine Wheel is highly regarded for its home-cooked food and real ales served in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The team use local produce when available, and all of their food is prepared by fully trained chefs.
Enjoy a Christmas meal at The Catherine Wheel, available from November 29 to December 30 (excl. 25 & 26 Dec). January 2014 bookings are also available on request.
- Brussels sprout and chestnut soup with sage and garlic croutons (v)
- Pheasant and duck pâté, apple and grape chutney, with warm toast
- Smoked salmon parcel filled with prawns and cream cheese, served with a lemon and dill dressing
- Toasted bruschetta topped with a feta and olive salad
- Breaded mushrooms filled with brie, served with orange and apricot jelly
- Turkey breast with a cranberry and thyme stuffing
- Game stew, marinated in red wine, slow cooked with shallots and herb dumplings
- Pot-roasted loin of pork stuffed with apricots and thyme served with crispy crackling and apple sauce
- Festive lentil and nut roast (v)
- Sea bass fillet with a caper and rocket salad, served with hollandaise
- Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding
- Traditional Christmas pudding with brandy sauce
- Chocolate bread and butter pudding with double cream
- Lemon posset and mixed berry coulis with shortbread biscuits
- Bakewell tart with vanilla ice cream
- West Country cheeses with chutney and savoury biscuits
- Marshfield Farm ice cream selection
£20.00 for three courses,
£16.00 for two courses pre-booked – crackers included!
The Natterjack Inn
Nr Evercreech Junction Evercreech
Somerset BA4 6NA
The Natterjack Inn is a truly traditional pub, offering a wide choice of locally sourced, home-cooked food, real ales and fine wines. Its warm and friendly atmosphere lends itself to all occasions – including your Christmas meal.
The Natterjack Inn’s Christmas menu was created by their team of chefs to help you enjoy their culinary delights over the festive period in 2013. Running from December 1 to 24, you will be able to enjoy a three-course menu for £23, or a two-course lunchtime menu for £18. Booking and pre- ordering are required, along with a £5 deposit per head.
- Roast Tomato Soup with Melting Mozzarella
- Salt Cod Brandade with Toast
- Pork and Cognac Pate with Apple and Cider Chutney
- Beetroot, Smoked Salmon and Horseradish Tart
- Roasted Fig and Gorgonzola Salad with Balsamic Dressing
- Traditional Roast Turkey with all the Trimmings
- Pan Fried Sea Trout with Horseradish Cream and Crushed New Potatoes
- Braised Shin of Beef with Champ Mash, Cabbage with Bacon and Stout Gravy
- Squash, Feta and Pine Nut Filo Pie with Roast Potatoes and Redcurrant Jus
- Duck Leg Cassoulet with Warm Crusty Bread
- Figgy Pudding with Custard
- English Raspberry Trifle
- Cranberry and Clementine Crumble with Cointreau Ice Cream
- Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake with Clotted Cream Ice Cream
- Selection of Local Cheeses £2 Supplement
- Coffee and Petit Fours
The Old Station Inn & Carriage Restaurant
Wells Road Hallatrow
Somerset BS39 6EN
Nestled equidistant between Bath, Bristol and Wells lays The Old Station Inn and Carriage Restaurant. With obvious links to the railways it also features an old Pullman carriage as its restaurant, which has been lovingly restored to all its former glory. This was modelled on the iconic Royal Scotsman’s dining car and is both elegant and welcoming.
The Old Station is now taking Christmas bookings, with the following menu on offer…
- Prawn, crab and smoked salmon timbale with mini greens and Marie Rose sauce
- Orange and grapefruit segments with champagne sorbet (v)
- Caesar salad with shaved Parmesan cheese and ciabatta croutons (v)
- Roasted butternut squash soup with chestnuts and pancetta bacon
- Wild mushroom risotto with thyme and roasted Parmesan (v)
- Goat’s cheese tart with tomato balsamic chutney (v)
- Stuffed breast of Norfolk black turkey filled with ham and chestnut stuffing, cranberry demi-glaze, roast potatoes, winter greens and roasted root vegetables
- Vegetarian Christmas meal served with a homemade veggie loaf instead of the meat
- Fresh Cornish monkfish wrapped in Parma ham, lemon, garlic and parsley mashed potatoes, fresh vegetables
- Confit of duck leg, braised red cabbage, horseradish crushed potatoes
- Sautéed jumbo prawns and scallops skewered with spicy chorizo sausage, dressed salad and fat chips
- 10oz rump steak, wild mushroom sauté, fat chips, rocket and onion tangles
- Christmas pudding with brandy butter
- Ice cream sundae with chocolate brownie, chocolate sauce and whipped cream
- Lemon tart with fresh berries
- Caramel crème brulee
- White, milk and dark chocolate mousse
- Cheese board £4.50 per person
- Sorbet between starter and main course £2.50 per person
- Coffee or tea £1.50 per person
- Cappuccino, latte, hot chocolate
£1.75 per person
£24.95 Gratuity not included
Price includes Christmas crackers, mince pies and after-dinner chocolates
The Fox at Broughton Gifford
Melksham, SN12 8PN
Nestling in the heart of this popular and picturesque village, The Fox at Broughton Gifford is an important addition to the Wiltshire dining scene.
The Fox, in conjunction with Broughton Gifford’s very own Church Farm Meats, ensures the highest quality and most locally sourced meat as is possible.
Celebrate your Christmas party at The Fox at Broughton Gifford with the following menu…
- Seared king scallops, artichoke and truffle purée, bacon crisp, sauce vierge.*
- Pigeon breast, caramelised pistachios, potato rosti, celeriac and apple.
- Selection of home-cured salami, toasted sourdough and pickles.
- Chicken liver and foie gras parfait, Tokaji jelly.*
- Spiced parsnip soup, caramelised parsnip, thyme croutons. v
- Beetroot, poached pear, chicory and goat’s cheese salad. v
- Roasted crown of turkey, with all the trimmings.
- Seared local venison, fondant potato, pickled beetroot, candied walnuts, cavolo nero.
- Roasted partridge, parsnip purée, with cabbage, bacon and chestnut parcels, game chips.
- Fish of the day, with a broth of leek, spinach, wild mushrooms and clams.
- Pan fried gnocchi, chestnuts, wild mushrooms and blue cheese.
- 8oz fillet steak, hand-cut chips, sautéed winter vegetables, Béarnaise sauce.*
- Christmas pudding with brandy cream and stem ginger ice cream.
- Chocolate and chestnut tart, salted caramel, toffee nuts, vanilla ice cream.
- ‘Toffee apple’ crème brûlée with cinnamon biscuits.
- Selection of cheeses, with homemade chutney and biscuits.
- Selection of ice creams and sorbets.
- Coffee and petit fours.
Two courses for £25,
three courses for £30
Dishes marked * subject to a £2 supplement