Gallagher Retail Park,
Cheltenham GL51 9RR
Call 01242 542950
This is an easy and perfect salad to accompany any savoury winter dinner. Its bright colours and flavours bring a celebration to the plate, demonstrating that salads needn’t be boring in 2013!
Blood oranges are packed with more than 130 per cent of the recommended daily dose of vitamin C, as well as potassium, dietary fibre and anti-ageing antioxidants.
- 2 blood or navel oranges
- 1⁄2 very thinly sliced fennel
- 1⁄2 thinly sliced red onion
- Mixed salad leaves – arugula and watercress
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional —1 oz Pecorino Pepato (or any hard cheese)
- Peel the oranges and slice into 1⁄4-inch rounds and then cut the rounds in half to form half-moon shapes.
- Thinly slice the fennel, keeping the tops (they add extra flavour!). A great way to slice fennel is by using a mandolin. Slice the red onion into thin rounds and then half-moons.
- Transfer the oranges, fennel and onion to a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, orange juice, honey and salt and pepper and drizzle over the greens. Toss well. Form a pile of the greens in the centre of the salad plates.
- Place orange, fennel and onion on top of the salad and shave 3-4 large pieces of the Pecorino Pepato over the greens (leave out if you choose). Serve immediately.