This recipe is from Tina Bester’s book Love Food
Other Recipes from Tina:
The buttered croissants make this dish extra indulgent – leave it to stand for at least an hour before baking to ensure that the custard soaks into every nook and cranny.
- 4 croissants, sliced
- Apricot jam (jelly)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3 large eggs
- 100g/3½oz/½ cup sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500ml/17fl oz/2 cups warm milk
- Cut the croissants into diagonal slices and spread butter and jam on each slice. Layer them in a lightly greased baking dish and sprinkle each layer with raisins (but don’t put raisins on the top, as they will burn).
- Beat the eggs, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla together in a bowl and then pour the warm milk onto the egg mixture, beating all the time. Make sure that all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and then pour it over the croissants and allow it to stand for at least 1 hour before cooking. (This is important otherwise it ends up tasting very ‘eggy’.)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas mark 4 while the pudding is standing and bake for about 30–45 minutes.