This recipe is from Tina Bester’s book Love Food
Other Recipes from Tina:
One of those dishes of which one helping is never enough – and eaten by the spoonful straight out of the fridge the next day, it’s even better!
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 aubergines (eggplants), sliced
- Olive oil
- 8 potatoes, peeled
- 1 portion basic mince mixture
- Ground nutmeg
- Béchamel sauce
- 125g/4½oz/generous ½ cup butter
- 125g/4½oz/generous ¾ cup flour
- 1 litre/1¾ pints/4 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas mark 4. Season the aubergine and fry in the olive oil until just crispy.
- Boil the potatoes until tender, allow to cool and then slice lengthways.
- To assemble the moussaka, layer the mince, aubergine and potatoes and then repeat the layers, ending with a layer of mince. Pour the béchamel sauce over the moussaka and dust with a little nutmeg. Bake for 30 minutes until it starts to bubble around the edges. Serve with fluffy basmati rice.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a pot, add the flour and combine well. Slowly add the milk, stirring it with a whisk to remove any lumps. Cook the sauce until it has thickened, stirring it all the time.